Area Server Administration Questions

This section is for anything related to the technical aspects of .hack//fragment, such as server discussion, custom utilities, etc.
Endy Gainer

Hello, new Area Server host here. I'm wondering how to go about administering my area server.

Specifically, I'm talking about functions such as kicking and banning players, any available server commands, and anything else that might come in handy for controlling the server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hawk of Vermilion: Server Admin
"Want courtesy? Act courteous."
Operator

Hey,

You can kick players by clicking on their name in the list of connected players and choosing the kick option. There's no real way to ban a player unless you somehow find out the IP address of the player and block it in your firewall or hosts file or whatever else.

As for commands, the bulk of the server program is dedicated to editing keywords, maps, dungeons, etc. There's not much in terms of actual user interaction beyond being able to send messages to the players.
I plan to upload a translated version of the area server files this weekend, which will hopefully help new server hosts figure out what's what. :)
Endy Gainer

Thanks for the reply. Just being able to kick is good enough for the time being.

Out of curiosity, do we know what specifically causes area servers to level up? All the old information on that was wiped after the storm that ran through Coldbird's community, but it seemed like portal completion and Gott Statues were tied into progression. Do we have any info there?

EDIT: Okay, from searching through various forums, it appears that the Area Server program is supposed to output a file called "serverinfo.html" which shows the experience needed for each field type as well as the overall level of the server. Does the NETSLUM area server client do this?
Bison

The Netslum server does not provide the HTML functionality. If you happen to have access to the old Coldbird Area Server that did you can easily redirect it to use it on Netslum, but I won't be providing those files to you.
Operator

Like BISON said, the serverinfo thing was a modification made by Coldbird and co, and out of respect for those guys we won't be providing links to their work as they don't want it distributed anymore.
From what I can remember every field type (lava field, snow field, etc) has its own internal experience counter which gains experience for that field based on players clearing portals and opening Gott statues. Levelling up these fields will eventually lead to the AS level going up.

The best I can suggest based on that is that whenever you play, try and clear get a full clear on the field and dungeon, and try to vary the field types you play on.
Endy Gainer

Gotcha. That matches up with my experience, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else regarding server level. The screenshots I managed to find regarding the serverinfo.html showed the server level to be an average of each field level, so you really have to use them all.

I'll see about putting out a guide for leveling the server with this sort of information later, I think it'd be useful for anyone who wants to try their hand at it. Thanks.
Bison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:59 pm The Netslum server does not provide the HTML functionality. If you happen to have access to the old Coldbird Area Server that did you can easily redirect it to use it on Netslum, but I won't be providing those files to you.
I actually have those files, as I first ran my server on Coldbird's list back around August, or so? Can't remember exactly when.

Could you PM me on how to go about redirecting it to the Netslum lobby server, as well as how to enable the serverinfo.html feature? Thank you.
taterz

well unfortunately with coldbird just dropping all their forums and the fact that i recently upgraded my computer without backing up my excel files, all my data on leveling servers was lost. though i do remember the most important bits:

1. exp gained is based on the level of the enemy vs the field type's level
2. size doesn't matter, quantity does
3. the optimal server leveling requires the host to continuously change dungeon layouts
4. best layout is 5 rooms of 2 portals, in a straight line, with the portals as close to each other as possible. then a singular AoE (i prefer lv4 tornado spells) to take out all 8 small enemies at once. my best was somewhere near 2500 kills an hour. it can be more or less, depending on how you view using turbo mode.
5. on the area server, priority dictates the relative strength of the enemies in the key word combinations. i believe B had the highest priority there, with A in second and C irrelevant.

it eventually comes to the point where the level gap between field and enemy is 5+ levels so you'll be stuck with getting 1 exp per kill. if you had the patience, then you can get a server to 99 simply by modifying a fresh server to maximize kills and level it all at once. i'm talking like 6 hours or so of pure killing with no breaks. a fresh server can get the most exp per kill, which is something like 63 exp.
taterz

also this still exists, so download it while you can. i forgot the dude's name, but he did a great job filling this info out (with some help 8-) ):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6g5l34jiuxwu ... .xlsx?dl=0